Friday, October 23, 2009

Welcome to our Training Blog

I've been training with animals (dogs and horses) for many years. In my background I've trained dogs for myself and others for Obedience Competition, for Tracking, Water Rescue, Confirmation, Agility and more recently our Service Dog program.

With Best Friends, we hold an on going rotating basis of advancing levels in Obedience classes. We begin with our Puppy Kindergarten classes (which I happen to LOVE because the puppies never fail to make us laugh and feel good) and run up through Adult Basic 1 to several levels of Adult Advanced classes. The classes all run for 6 weeks and in them we learn things like Heeling on a leash (yyeaahh no more being dragged from here to Kingdom-Come!), sit, lay down, stay, come when called and we work on a Leave It command and on door manners. We also hold a question and answer period at the end of each class, where if you are having particular problems at home with your pets, I can give you ways of working to correct those at home. My job is mainly to teach YOU how to train your pets and to make sure you both are getting it all put together in the right way. I keep my classes to a smaller number so that I can work with each one of you individually to meet your pets specific needs/tasks. By the end of 6 weeks, if you and your pet work together you will have a great foundation to keep working on. Not to worry though, I never leave you at the door when class is done. Whether it's at the end of the night or the end of the 6 weeks, if you have problems call our center! I'm available to help with your issues.

I have a new class running now that has become a favorite of mine. It's our Service Dog class. For those who have a physical or emotional need for a companion animal to assist them in their daily tasks, we can help you to train your own dog. There are certain guidelines we have to follow in pets who can train to do this. For instance if you need help in getting out of your chair or bed a Maltese won't work. At the same time if you need more of an emotional assistant perhaps a Shibu Inu wouldn't be your best choice.

We have 3 dogs in the current class and we are into our 7th week of training. Not only are they learning to behave in public, but they are each learning specific tasks to help their owners. Keep a watch for us out in the malls and local restaurants. If you see is say Hi but please remember, a Service Dog in training is not to be petted!

If you find yourself with a new puppy, an older dog with obedience and manner issues or have the need for a Service Dog please feel free to come by our center at 8224 Bash Street, Indianapolis In and meet with me. If you prefer you can call (317)841-8182 and ask to speak to me. If I am not in feel free to ask when I will be in again or leave a message and I will call you back when I do come in.

If you would like to sit in on a class to see how they run please feel free, I always welcome visitors! Just call us ahead of time to find out about our class schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment