Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Nipping in puppies

One of the biggest tools puppies have to learn with is their mouth - not only for vocalization, but to touch and feel and explore…and test their limits. Think about a litter of puppies playing. They are rough and tumble - they bite, nibble, and bark. If one puppy bites another too hard, the bitten puppy lets out a screech which usually is successful in getting the hard nipper to temper his bites. This is how puppies learn. A big part of learning isdong it wrong (so they can lern to do it right).


Puppies will test their limits with you, too. Nipping and mouthing is a big part of that testing. They mouth and grab hands, pant legs, skirts, etc. Part of how you teach a puppy to temper their biting lies back with how his litter mates taught him - a shrill shriek OUCH! to let him know he’s gone too far - even if it didn’t hurt that much. One thing that you are responsible for training this puppy - that should start early- is that under no circumstances should that puppy’s teeth ever come down on your skin hard enogh to leave a mark. They CAN learn to be gentle.

Ways to teach your puppy or dog to *be nice*:

I like the word "nice" or "easy" when I teach a dog to respect my skin. If my puppy gets wild and nippy, I will take his collar, after I let out a big "Ow!!", and give it a little tug and offer my hand back to the puppy and tell him, in a firm voice, "BE NICE!" If the puppy nips again, I repeat the command and tug a little firmer, "I said "BE NICE!" If the puppy licks your hand, sniffs it, or turns his head away, I tell him "GOOD NICE!!" and make sure my voice sounds pleased.

You can also "set up" teaching "NICE" to your dog. I get a bunch of small, soft treats and hold one in the fingers of one hand. In the other hand - I have the puppy’s collar, and he is sitting close to me. I offer the treat to the puppy and remind him that we are being "NICE". If he lunges for the treat, I give him a tug on his collar and remind him, "NO, NICE!" The same goes if he grabs the treat and any part of my hand or fingers. Remember NOT to move the hand that holds the treat. If you move the hand holding the treat you actually encourage your puppy to chase the treat. With this exercise, your puppy will eventually learn to take the treat without even touching your skin with his teeth.

Don't *teach* biting to your puppy
Never play hand games that will excite your puppy and encourage him to lunge for your hand. Chase games, especially for herding dogs will also encourage them to nip and bite at legs and heels. Not good! The best games to play are games involving fetch and toys. Any time you play with your puppy, make sure that you have a toy between you and the puppy. Never play tug of war with your puppy - that will only make your puppy think of himself as your equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment